On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Jeremy White wrote:
[...]
>     2.  (Not yet discussed) - What packages do we provide?
>
>       Marcus provides one - Wine.
>
>         Ove provides five - libwine-dev, libwine, wine-doc, wine-utils,
> and wine.
>
>         I would argue that Marcus provides too few, and that Ove
>         provides too many.

   Package over-splitting is part of the Debian philosophy. So when
packaging for Debian we should respect the Debian philosophy, even if it
looks like package over-splitting.
   I believe this is a Debian issue, not a Wine issue. The right way to
solve it would be to modify the package management tools to
automatically include (or not) some types of packages like documentation
based on the administrator's preferences. I believe there's work in this
direction but it may take time.
   Anyway, how would you get more than 4000 packages if not by
splitting packages into small pieces :-).

[...]

--
Francois Gouget         [EMAIL PROTECTED]        http://fgouget.free.fr/
The nice thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing quite respectable