Greg Turner wrote:
On Thursday 26 December 2002 10:35 am, Derek Broughton wrote:

Duane Clark wrote:

Derek Broughton wrote:

Windows which _doesn't_ understand the concept of different file
systems under a single drive.
Surely from Windows p-o-v _no_ other return values should be
legitimate. Can windows natively read any other types?  I don't think
so.

Hmm, perhaps not out of the box, but surely, what with reparse-points, DFS, "offline files", hard-links, and other such features, it's not so simple as "fs(root)==fs(arbitrary_subdir(root)) && fs(root) in [fat, ntfs]" in all cases, is it? And then there is support for netware, appletalk, and even nfs....

Also, itsn't it totally possible, even limiting ones self to documented functionality in the DDK, to produce 3rd-party FS drivers and install them (note, that I didn't say easy :) )? The above just covers what you can get from Microsoft... For example, doesn't Oracle provide some FS driver (or perhaps they gave up on that plan...)?

Regardless, I don't see anything wrong with the current approach, which could be extended to support NTFS, or some new driver. Getting the emulated FS type from the native FS type seems like a limitation more than a feature to me... or am I missing the idea of this?

Tony seemed to think it was more difficult. I still don't see how, even if you want to support all the third-party possibilities, it's possible to have two files systems under one drive in Windows.