[Winona Online Democracy]

I have a couple of thoughts on the jail issue.  One is that there should be
a regional jail.  The problem, in my humble opinion, that blocks it is turf
for Sheriffs and to some extent County Boards.  The County spends more than
the $330,000 on detention for juvenile delinquents but years ago the SE
Minn. counties decided to create a regional facility because it was not cost
effective to create ones for smaller catchment areas.  The Sheriff has to do
that transporting as well and the County has to pay for the stay -- at rates
which are at least triple what is paid to other counties for adult jail
space.  (Wonder why that isn't a hot political issue.)  Jails for adults is
what seems to be politically the in thing right now all over the country.
Dealing with alternatives or with where the money is really going doesn't
seem to be the issue.
Someone recently had a letter suggesting private jails.  Again, that doesn't
get attention and I suggest it doesn't due to turf and politics.  I think
that has great potential -- especially on a regional level.
I am concerned about building so many jail beds that there are hidden
pressures to fill them.  There are also potential risks of empty beds and
cost associated with overbuilding.
On a sales tax -- I agree that if the City and County don't get together on
this, both may lose.  I also think that allowing for a regional,
multi-county, jail tax needs to be considered along with maybe getting
legislation to create an incentive for a multi-county approach.  Something
is needed to break down the turf and political barriers and most often that
means money from the state as a carrot, (or a stick of it costing more if
you don't).
I also have to say that the Legislature has to look at the monster they
created in the Dept. of Corrections jail rules, regs, etc. admin. authority.
I suspect that most, if not all, the space and staffing requirements are the
creation of state authorities and not Federal.  The Legislature can change
that.  I would not suggest that we go so far as states like AZ who put many
prisoners in tents out in the desert, but I would suggest that most
prisoners in county jails are living better, except for the freedom to
leave, than they have ever lived on the outside.  One person can make a
difference and one county can start a change process in the Legislature.  We
do not have to sit back and assume the State Corrections officials rules and
regs cannot be changed.  They can!
Craig Brooks