[Winona Online Democracy]

The Wilson Township annexation issue has heated up.  Sounds like an issue
that many have strong opinions on.
In 1986 we moved from the city out to Gilmore Valley.  The woods and the
large lots for houses were the main reasons for the move.  Then a couple of
people on County Rd. 21 had soil problems that meant they had to do
something about their septic systems.  I felt like we got our home annexed
with the whole Winona Township as a power play by the City.  It felt like
the message was "we have you now -- if you want us to let those few homes
hook up to our sewer system, we insist that the whole township become part
of the City".  Our taxes went up allot but we never really felt any other
changes.  I do remember right after the date of the annexation we saw police
cars and city trucks driving around out there almost daily -- but it didn't
take long for that to fall off.
Then a few years ago we moved to Homer Township.  Now, not that many miles
from our home, the City is again moving to annex.  As an individual and
without researching the facts, I can tell you I feel like the City and the
developers are doing this for one thing and that is money.  Again,
personally, I did not like how close homes are built together in the City
compared to in the rural area.  I know that out in Gilmore Valley the newer
homes are now being planned and built to be like Knopp Valley or Valley
Oaks.  That makes more money for developers and for the City.  Right before
we moved the City started to allow sub-divisions up on the ridge above where
our house was.  I have been back behind Holzinger (sp?) Lodge and witnessed
the terrible erosion from Wincrest runoff now compared to ten and twenty
years ago.  I was concerned the same thing was going to come down on our
home and I was concerned about loss of habitat for the animals and birds -
another primary reason we want to live in the country.
I just wish the City would work harder to form partnerships with neighboring
Townships to work for the good of the area and not play power games to get
bigger for the sake of the City at the expense of others.

Craig Brooks
Homer Twp
Winona

<(©¿©)>