[Winona Online Democracy]

Content of document sent by Kelly Herold to the WOD
group --
*********************
How do you see schools changing in the next 2 to 5 to
10 years and how can WAPS achieve broad based support
from the community (including seniors and others
living on low incomes)?

In order for schools to be successful all invested
parties in the education system have to feel as if
their financial, emotional, and intellectual efforts
are incorporated into the design of the curriculum,
assessment of the system and the expenditure of
taxpayer monies.

A trend of devaluing government programs, including
education programs, seems to have gained momentum.
This may be due to a growing disconnect between those
who participate in the education process such as,
students, teachers, administrators, and parents, and
those who only feel connected to the education
programs as a taxpayer.

Even though government programs can be bureaucratic,
clumsy and at times inefficient, I believe our public
school systems to a great job.  Unfortunately we have
come to understand the effectiveness of our education
system through a trendy “customer satisfaction –
business model”.  This model doesn’t effectively
explain education programs and devalues the intangible
positive impact that public education programs have on
a community.

Knowing the customer satisfaction model has had
impact, over the next 2 to 10 years we will likely to
experience increased pressure on local communities to
pay more of the education bill.   In response that
pressure school districts will be forced to find ways
to provide education with less money, or persuade the
community to invest more into the education process.
Unfortunately that is very difficult to do if those
paying the bills only see themselves as participating
in the education system as bill payers.   This
perception has to change.  To do that increased
community involvement by building educational
partnerships with many groups including, students and
senior citizens and those living on low-income sources
need to be fostered.

Educational partnerships would benefit the community,
improve relations between taxpayers and students, and
help change the perception that education is just
about the students, teachers, administrators and
standardized test score results.   An inclusive
partnership would demonstrate that the measured value
of education goes beyond improved scores on
standardized tests.  In addition, the community and
the students would learn to embrace life long values
like; improved citizenry, life-long education, and
being a good neighbor.  These are values that are
central to our community fabric and need to be
nurtured.

I don’t have the answers but I do have few ideas that
could be considered to improve these relationships.

1.  A tutoring program – where senior citizens would
volunteer to work with students who need help in
subject matters.

2.  An adult education program – where high school
students would volunteer to work with low-income
and/or senior citizens on subjects like computer
literacy.

3.  An altruism program where students, senior
citizens and low income constituents would team
together to identify community education needs and
develop educational workshops like; programs on our
local eco-environment systems, race relations,
evaluating local media coverage, to name a few.

Finally – I believe that the future will also see an
increasing use of technology to make information
available to students and the community.  But this has
a long way to go in terms of fairness, distribution
and use.  While we have more and more technology
available to us – we also need to be concerned with
the critical thinking skills necessary to evaluate
sources, to collate information and not get overly
fascinated with the technological process of educating
people and instead concentrate on the ability to
deconstruct, evaluate and understand all of the
material available to us.

Respectfully,

Kelly P. Herold

--- Kelly Herold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [Winona Online Democracy]
>

> --
> Kelly Herold, PhD
> Associate Professor of Communication Studies
> Winona State University
> Winona, MN
> 55987
>

> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Any problems or suggestions can be directed to
> mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> If you want help on how to contact elected
> officials, go to the Contact page at
>  http://www.winonaonlinedemocracy.org

=====

  <(©¿©)>