[Winona Online Democracy]

Thought this might be of interest to some--
Craig Brooks
****************************
Posted on Wed, Jan. 12, 2005

Townships eye new life as cities
Denmark, New Scandia considering incorporation
BY MARY DIVINE
Pioneer Press

It's an old and oft-repeated question at townships in the east metro: Should
we become a city?

Officials in Denmark and New Scandia townships say they are getting closer
to answering that question. Both townships will hold public meetings on
incorporation this spring.

Similar discussions are going on in other urban townships as development
pressure increases and annexation becomes a more pressing threat. Others,
like May Township, are waiting to see what happens in New Scandia and
Denmark.

The Washington County Board on Tuesday approved a resolution supporting
Denmark Township's bid for incorporation. The township had already received
support from its neighboring communities — Afton, Cottage Grove, Woodbury
and Hastings.

Denmark Township has discussed incorporation for several years, said Kevin
Shoeberg, township attorney. The township has been working on its zoning
ordinances and has taken over building inspections from the county, so "it's
just a natural progression of what's been happening over the past few
years," he said.

As a city, Denmark could prevent annexation by other cities, eliminate
county oversight, expand statutory powers and qualify for state aid for
roads once it reaches a population of 5,000.

However, it also would lose county zoning and planning services and land-use
ordinances, face levy limits and tax implications, and have to assume
responsibility for its own law-enforcement protection and for criminal
prosecution of lesser offenses.

Township officials are currently working on what the tax impact would be on
each house in the township, Shoeberg said. "We're not hiding anything from
residents," he said. "This will cost more money."

The county board on Tuesday requested that the state's Office of
Administration grant Denmark's petition, allowing it to become a city under
Minnesota statutes.

Township officials, however, said they would not approach the state until
they'd met again with residents to discuss the issue. "We want to give them
an idea of full costs, any changes they would see, and tax impacts, and then
the board would take a vote," said Peg Powers, town board chair.

Becoming a city would not really "change the way that we live our lives that
much, but it offers us a certain degree of control over our boundaries and
land use within the township," Powers said. "It's going to be hard with the
pressures of development to maintain your borders."

At the township's annual meeting last March, a show of hands in the
standing-room-only crowd indicated overwhelming support for incorporation.
The township has about 1,400 residents.

If residents at this spring's public meeting continue to support
incorporation, the town board would then vote on the issue.

The next step would be to file an incorporation petition with the Minnesota
Administration Department's municipal boundary adjustments team. A hearing
would then be scheduled before an administrative law judge. The process
could take three to six months, barring any opposition, Shoeberg said.

Denmark is "just one of many looking at becoming a city," said Washington
County Board Chair Myra Peterson. "It's kind of like your children growing
up. You have to let them go. More power to them."

A committee in New Scandia Township, population 3,800, has been studying
incorporation since August, said Blair Joselyn, a town board supervisor and
committee chair.

"We've got Wisconsin on the east, another county on the north, and May and
Marine to the south, so we're quite comfortable today that right now we're
not under any threat," he said.

But in recent years, the nearby community of Grant decided to incorporate.
Forest Lake township and city ended a stormy border dispute by joining, and
Wyoming Township is facing partial annexation by Chisago City, Joselyn said.

Mary Divine covers Washington County. She can be reached at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or 651-228-5443.

© 2005 St. Paul Pioneer Press and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved.
http://www.twincities.com