[Winona Online Democracy]

This topic has generated many great questions and opinions -- even though it is
hard to see the focus on local aspects.  I work for local government in an area
that exists due to State and Federal mandates -- much as public schools do.  I
have had to research what would happen if we failed in our responsibilities or
refused to carry them out.
I have to bring up a point regarding the debate comparing private business and
school failure.  If the business fails, it closes (most of the time).  If a
public school fails, it continues to exist and operate -- with the only change
being what level of government runs it and pays the bills.  There are many
other differences, such as what choices the customer has in either failure, but
my point is that the public school does not close due to failure.  It only
closes due to demographics.  The consequences of failure are much different for
a mandated government function and a private business.
Craig Brooks

"The moral test of government is how it treats
those who are in the dawn of life, the children;
those who are in the twilight of life, the aged;
and those who are in the shadow of life, the sick, the needy,
and the handicapped".
Hubert H. Humphrey