Hi Lee,
thanks for the mail.

On Friday, January 24, 2003, at 08:53 PM, Lee Nguyen wrote:

Hi. First of all, great job with the MP support. It's nice to be able to
use winpcap on my MP machine. Now, the bugs...

Win2K throws a BSOD when I attempt to send a packet flood using winpcap's
native API (not the libpcap wrappers). The BSOD error says
MULTIPLE_IRP_REQUESTS. To send the packet flood, I used PacketSetNumWrites
() to set the iteration to ~10000 and then called PacketSendPacket() to
send the buffer (buffer<=64bytes). I then put the PacketSendPacket() code
in a tight infinite loop.
This patch has been designed for 'read-only' apps like ethereal and ntop. The original libpcap does not allow you to inject packets although the Win32 port does.

WinXP (on the same machine via a disk image) seems to prevent my app from
starting at all. After a few tries, though, the app can get started but
then it BSODs with just the STOP code. I couldn't see any error
information.

So you basically said that we must work as on XP the patch does not work but just on Win2K.

Test machine environment:
Win2KPro, WinXPPro
Dual P3-500 MHz
384 MB RAM
3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI TX (3C905B-TX) network driver.

I was also able to generate debug logs using DebugView
(www.sysinternals.com) and crash dumps (less portable I imagine). I didn't
know whether to post bugs here or send it to the NTOP guys, so I just sent
it to everybody. If there's a specific group that I should send future
bugs to, please let me know.

You can send it to the ntop list. Personally I hope that the Winpcap guys will integrate the patch (at least as experimental code) so that the code will be part of the main source tree.

Luca

|         |           Luca Deri        |
|         |           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  |
|         |           01/24/2003 12:49 |
|         |           winpcap-users    |
| |