I just found this in an article.  It points out a couple other events that cause high traffic....One of them coming up in March....

Brian

"According to the Silicon Alley Insider based on data from Akamai the early numbers for the inauguration among news web sites was that they saw 5.4 million visitors per minute.

Peak total visitors per minute were 5.4 million, making it one of the top five events ever, trailing both the 2008 presidential election (#1 with 8.572 million visitors per minute at peak traffic) as well as the first day of the NCAA college basketball tournament last March (#3 with 7.01 million visitors/minute )."

David E. Smith wrote:
Not really, but is everyone else seeing lots of extra traffic from
people streaming inauguration-related events in DC? My network is
pulling basically double the traffic of a "normal" Tuesday.

(There's a lesson about capacity planning in here somewhere...)

David Smith
MVN.net