Ruckus now has a full outdoor radio that would work great for this... easy
to manage and setup.  But the cost will probably kill your budget (I think
the full outdoor units cost around $1k or so... haven't seen the price on
them yet).  The controller would add some cost too.  But it would be a high
quality system.

You could probably also pick up some Tropos boxes relatively cheap.
Managing/setting up the system might be more effort than you want to give
it.

Just remember... you don't want to mesh more than three nodes :-)

Daniel White
3-dB Networks
http://www.3dbnetworks.com