+1 for Dude for network map and >24 hour bandwidth monitoring on links/ap's
and PTP signal strengths. I would be lost with out it. It's very handy to
just scroll over to a tower, right click on the back haul and open it in a
web browser or open a router just by right clicking on it, etc.

+1 for Cacti-EZ. I use it for long term monitoring of all my router
bandwidth, 95th percentile, etc.

I'm moving over to Powercode's monitoring for our main core infrastructure
equipment monitoring and notification, etc.

I also run Smokeping for long term latency monitoring. it makes pretty
graphs. :)

Adair

On Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 7:54 AM, Justin Wilson <li...@mtin.net> wrote:

> For most of our folks we use a combination of the Dude from Mikrotik and
> Nagios, and usually throw in Cacti.  The dude is easy to understand,
> doubles as network documentation, and is good for the CSR folks to look at
> a glance.  Dude can also replace Cacti if you desire.  It just doesn’t
> create pretty graphs.  We mainly use cacti for co-lo and bandwidth
> customers.  It calculates 95th percentile internally. You can also setup
> cacti to graph all kinds of stuff you don’t necessarily want to monitor,
> but are helpful to keep track of. For example, wireless
> signal/ccq/jitter/whatever, BGP routes, temperature, voltage, and other
> SNMP data.
>
> Nagios is great at knowing the difference between latency and a link
> actually being down.  It has a ton of extra knowledge about stuff you don’t
> find in the Dude.  Nagios has a learning curve for sure, but it’s worth it.
>  If you use the newer versions or even the paid version that learning curve
> isn’t as steep. Nagios also can do distributed monitoring to split up load
> or make your monitoring a little more fault tolerant.
>
> My monitoring box has a VM with Dude,  a VM with Nagios, and a VM with
> Cacti.  The only reason Cacti is separated is because I like to use
> cacti-ez.  It sets everything up and away it goes.
>
> Justin
>
> --
> Justin Wilson <j...@mtin.net>
> http://www.mtin.net <http://www.mtin.net/blog>
> Managed Services – xISP Solutions – Data Centers
> http://www.thebrotherswisp.com
> Podcast about xISP topics
>

> From: Brian Wilson <br...@wildsong.biz>
> Date: Friday, August 15, 2014 at 3:11 PM
> To: WISPA General List <wireless@wispa.org>
> Subject: Re: [WISPA] Network Monitoring Program
>
> I have inherited a very old version of Nagios and we also use The Dude
> from Mikrotik.
>
> That's what we have installed here right now, not a recommendation. ;-)
>
> I am very interested to hear what other people are using, too.
> ​
> Brian Wilson
> CDS Wireless, Santa Rosa CA

Adair Winter