Typically AP will create the BSSID list (AP list) from
the beacons it receives. User level Apps like the
microsoft zero config go 'nuts' pumping in calls to
firmware for BSSID list scanning.
Based on a timer the Driver also initiates a scan for
BSSIDS. Access point list is not the bottleneck in
fast handoff. You can also look up Inter access point
protocol.

The data packets can traverse the air only after
association and authentication. Roaming tests with
attenuators will show the bottleneck. It depends on
the mobile unit and Access point / wireless switch
stack implementation.

Profile roaming algorithms are like google pages. It
can be a simple algorithm like signal strenth +
security policy . In the case of having multiple
access point availability and continuous roaming, user
patterns will have to be mapped .

--- Harshal Chhaya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Nurul Huda wrote:
> > tq..my attention is on the probe delay which
> contributes the largest delay
> > in handoff process..There are many factor that
> influences the delay..
> > so how i'm gonna reduce the delay?
>
> Could you explain what you mean by 'probe delay'?
>
> The device could send out probe frames and build a
> list of available
> APs that it could roam to while it is still
> associated with an AP. It
> could periodicially update this list and sort it
> from 'best' to
> 'worst' depending on some criteria that you choose -
> signal strength
> is the most choice but not the only one. When the
> time comes to roam,
> it doesn't need to look for a suitable AP but uses
> this list to
> associate. Would this approach reduce this 'probe
> delay'?
>
> Regards,
> - Harshal

http://mail.yahoo.com