Jeff Morriss wrote:

> Jeremy Linton wrote:
>> As a FYI:
>>
>> I have been having problems with startup time (> 1 minute) with a 1.1.2
>> version compiled from the source tar (suse 11).
>> So I went looking and discovered the majority of the startup time in my
>> situation was actually the splash screen updates.
>>
>> I replaced the splash_update in the call to epan_init() (gtk/main.c) with a
>> NULL, and that cut the startup time to less
>> than a second. I found some other comments complaining about the number of
>> plug-ins causing slow startups, but it looks
>> like in my case its more a case of trying to update the progress bar on the
>> splash screen causing slow startups than
>> having hundreds of plug-ins.
>
> There have been complaints in the past.  At first the splash screen was
> updating itself for every single dissector and plugin, now it's supposed
> to be every Nth (or every M milliseconds?).
>
> How are you accessing the system where you're running Wireshark?  ssh?
>
> Maybe Wireshark can/should disable the splash screen when run over ssh?
>   ssh doesn't imply a slow connection but it's probably reasonably common.

If you are forwarding over ssh, are you using 'ssh -X' or 'ssh -Y'? I've
had better luck with '-Y', especially over WAN links.

If you want to play with the splash screen update timing, you can adjust
REGISTER_FREQ in gtk/about_dlg.c. However, if the splash screen is slow
then the rest of the program will likely be slow.