On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 12:48 PM, Guy Harris <g...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> On Apr 19, 2014, at 12:24 PM, Richard Sharpe <realrichardsha...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> One think I would like to be able to do is "Show me all the SMB2
>> requests where the smb2.flags.is_response == true && smb2.nt_status !=
>> NT_STATUS_SUCCESS"
>
> Presumably you mean "show me all the SMB2 transactions (requests and matching
>
> There's now a mechanism to, when saving filtered packets, save "related"
> packets.  I think this was introduced to allow the earlier fragments/segments
> of a reassembled packet to be saved, along with the final packet that matched
> the filter, but in at least some cases somebody might want to save the
> requests corresponding to replies that match the filter.
>
> So perhaps there should be a way to have a display filter show related
> packets in addition to packets that match the packet-matching expression.

+100

Way back I added special code to the nfs dissector so that certain
filter fields would match both the request and the response. A kludge.
But it would be really nice to have a way to flag control that a match
will also match all related packets. And have it work for all
request/response protocols.

> However, there are multiple flavors of "related", and sometimes you might
> want the corresponding requests but *not* other fragments/segments, and other
> times you might want the other fragments/segments but *not* the corresponding
> requests, and sometimes you might want both.

Yes.  I think in most cases you want to split packet relations up into
two buckets :
"packets are related because they form a request/reply (and or cancel) pair"
and
"packets are related for some other reason".

We could fix this by changing all request/response fields to a new
FT_REQUEST_REPONSE type.