Hi,

Thanks for having a look and reporting back. This could have been done as a
merge request, this works as well. I’ve created one on your behalf, see WSDG:
update protocol stats section to match current API
<https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark/-/merge_requests/1449>

Further comments are inline.

Thanks,
Jaap

> On 20 Dec 2020, at 10:32, wsgd <w...@free.fr> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>

> Questions/remarks about
> https://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/ChDissectStats.html
>

> 1) An include is missing :
> Solution :
> Add #include <epan/stats_tree.h>

Done

> 2) msgtypevalues does not exist
> Solution :
> Replace "msgtypevalues" by "packettypenames"
>  to be conform with previous § 9.2.3. Improving the dissection information
> (https://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/ChDissectAdd.html)

Done

> 3) st_node_packets = stats_tree_create_node(st, st_str_packets, 0, TRUE);
> does not compile
> Solution :
> Replace it by :
>     st_node_packets = stats_tree_create_node(st, st_str_packets, 0,
> STAT_DT_INT, TRUE);

Done

> 4) foo_stats_tree_packet has bad prototype
> Solution :
> foo_stats_tree_packet should return tap_packet_status / TAP_PACKET_REDRAW
> (instead of int / 1)

Done

> About register_foo_stat_trees
>
> 5) WS_DLL_PUBLIC_DEF void plugin_register_tap_listener(void) does not compile
> :
> 1>T:\wireshark\dev\build_sources_3.4--win64\wireshark\plugins\epan\foo\packet-foo.c(192,1):
>  error C2491: 'plugin_register_tap_listener' : définition de fonction
> dllimport non autorisée
> 1>Génération du projet "foo.vcxproj" terminée -- ÉCHEC.
> "Solution" :
> Use __declspec(dllexport) instead of WS_DLL_PUBLIC_DEF

Nope, this is what ws_symbol_export.h is in place for, to have a cross platform
abstraction of dynamically linked identifiers. The build system has to take
care of this, the Windows one is especially finicky about the details.

> 6) __declspec(dllexport) void plugin_register_tap_listener(void) is never
> called
> Solution ? :
> - remove it
> - call directly register_foo_stat_trees(); from proto_reg_handoff_foo
>
> It is the good way to do ?

Again, this is what the build system is taking care of, to create cross
platform abstractions of the dynamic link linking.