Witango-Talk@witango.com writes:
>Hi all,
>
>I need to monitor users on my website (using Witango Server 5.5/Windows
>2003/MSSQL 2005). I need to know who is logged in, what pages they are
>viewing.
>The administrator of the site would prefer to have an applet/webpage
>opened that would list in (almost) real time the name of the user logged
>in and the current visited page (this would look like getting streaming
>info from a sport event, for example).
>
>Questions:
>1- Has anybody had to deal with this issue and is willing to share info,
>or provide a hint?
>2- Is there a way find out which users are logged in from the Witango
>server?
>
>I have a rudimentary solution in mind, but it is probably a heavy load
>for the CPU.
>I checked the forum but could not find anything pertinent to my problem.
>
>Thank you,
>MB

>witango-talk" in the body.

We use two tables in our database.  One is a log table which gets a record
insert for every login and whenever an appfile is launched .  We capture
data items like userid, userreference, IP address, user agent, referrer,
server instance, appfilename, datetime, etc.  We don't track every action,
but can get a pretty good picture of what a user is doing and who is on
which server instance (we run 6-10) at any given moment. We insert
anywhere from 5K to 100K records per day depending on how busy things are.

We also maintain a rolling session table which is just userreference and
datetime (inserted at login).  We use the session table to manage server
loads when it gets busy and only look at the last 5-10-15 minutes of
activity at any given point.

Tim Kelley
Executive Director of MIS
Harvard University - DCE