Hey John,

2008/8/21 John Giordano <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>   I want to try and use this library in an embedded environment.
>
>   My Coldfire 32-bit V2 processor board has 512K bytes of flash and 2MB of
> ram.

This platform is probably too limited to run a decent Wt application.
I am not entirely sure, since the specs are borderline for a minimum
hello world application.

We have not used Wt before on a platform with less than 8MB of ram.
Those were however platforms running a stock embedded Linux, which
already takes quite some resources itself.

Perhaps the bigger problem is flash. I'm not sure how much flash is
already been used by other applications, but a minimum sized hello
world, that is linked dynamically only against libc and libstdc++,
takes 300KB. It runs well on a 200MHz ARM processor, which is the
slowest device we tested on so far. I guess anything more than 100MHz
should be acceptible.

You need to take into account that as your application size increases,
you are likely to use more widgets, which also results in a bigger
library (next to a bigger application).

>   Is there a way I can easily remove support I don't need.
>
>   What comes to mind offhand is the support for wide characters and Unicode.
>
>   Maybe I can strip out the std::wstring support.
>
>   Is there an easy way to make the library lean and mean?

You can easily:
 - remove SSL
   cmake config: -DHTTP_WITH_SSL=OFF
 - remove compression
   cmake config: -DHTTP_WITH_ZLIB=OFF
 - remove boost regex if you have GNU regex:
   compile flag -DHAVE_GNU_REGEX
 - remove boost spirit:
   compile flag -DNO_SPIRIT

Can you get boost built for the platform ?

In principle, you can also get rid of wide chars (std::wstring). We
have done some work for this, but the patch is not up to date with the
latest releases of Wt, and, not integrated. This was initially
developed to support a uClibc without wide char support.

>   When this library was designed, did the designer/developer have embedded
> systems in mind?

We have spent alot of effort to make Wt work well on embedded linux,
with respect to code size, memory usage, and run-time performance.
Obviously, the embedded sytem market is very diverse in architecture
capabilities, and Wt is not suitable for very small devices.

>   Has this library ever been used on anything else besides Linux and
> Windows?

Next to Linux and Windows:
- Mac OS X using the GNU compiler
- Solaris using the Sun Studio 12 compiler
- AIX 5.3 using the Visual Age 9 compiler
- HP-UX PARISC using the GNU compiler

>   I don't want to spend a lot of effort getting a clean build only to find
> out that I don't have enough memory or horsepower to run.

I am afraid that without substantial effort in trying to further
downsize the library, it is not straightforward to fit Wt with some
application on your platform. On the other hand we (emweb) would
certainly be interested in seeing what it takes to make Wt fit well!

I hope this answers some of your questions?

Regards,
koen