Actually I prefer the current approach, i.e. newer patch bundles should
remove older patch bundles instead of just hiding them in the ARP. To me
this approach seems more intuitive as I was quite surprised that an older
.msp becomes visible again after I removed a .msp that superseded it.

While testing this it didn't work for me because I had used the wrong
UpgradeCode and therefore ended up with multiple patch bundle entries in the
ARP instead of entries that replace each other. This was purely a fault from
my side, the behavior of Burn is correct and I did not find a bug there
regarding this issue. Therefore I scratch #3 off this list.

Regarding #1:
The tricky part is really the elevation required to write the per machine
keys. So far I haven't figured out an alternative.