First, if you have a patch to the code, please start the discussion on the
wix-devs mailing list about that patch.  There should be no confusion about
that.  We talk about the code on wix-devs.

Now, Pedrum is still waiting for an answer for his last patch... but I'll
get to that (hopefully, this Tuesday).  <smile/>

The rest of this discussion is pretty much all about legal issues.  So, just
so everyone is clear, I'm not a lawyer and I can't provide legal advice.  If
you want these questions answered legally, you'd want to talk with a lawyer.

With the required (yes, it is required) disclaimer out of the way, here's
how I understand what the lawyers have told me.

1.  The Windows Installer XML toolset was originally written by me while I
worked at Microsoft.  It was then contributed to by several other Microsoft
employees.  Like most software developers (at least ones I've met employed
in the US), we have an employment agreement that says all our work is
property of the company we work for and specific exceptions have to be made
for anything else.  Thus, Microsoft owns the WiX toolset.  Full stop.

2.  The lawyers that have been in IP disputes tell me it is far easier to
legally protect code that has a single copyright owner.  Why?  Well, should
the project enter into any legal proceedings all copyright owners have to
attend and agree to all decisions that come out of the legal proceedings.
I've been told it is extremely difficult to go into legal proceedings where
multiple parties (who often have different expectations for the end result)
have to act as a single entity.

3.  As I understand it, to avoid the problems in 2 many Open Source software
projects require an assignment agreement.  The Free Software Foundation
requires it for any contributions to GNU.  The Apache Foundation requires it
for any contributions to Apache.  SugarCRM requires it for any contributions
to SugarCRM.  Looking at the license for NUnit, it appears they have not
chosen to go this route.

4.  For argument's sake, let's say there was a non-profit organization that
held the copyright for the WiX toolset.  I believe the assignment agreement
would still be necessary.  As I understand it, there are too many legal
risks maintaining a project with multiple copyright owners.  As it is, I
feel more comfortable knowing that the WiX toolset is looked after by
Microsoft instead of a group that doesn't have the legal resources to defend
the project.

So, if you have contributions, please let's have the discussions about the
code on the wix-devs mailing list.  If the developer that provides the
submissions, sends in an assignment agreement, those changes will be able to
be integrated and made available in future releases.  Otherwise, the changes
will just have to hang out there.