Tallow (for WiX 2.0) and Heat (for WiX 3.0) are the standard ways of
creating WiX authoring based on existing data like directories full of files
and such.

Note that to do this the "right" way is somewhat non-trivial.  The thing
about WI is that you shouldn't be changing component GUIDs all the time for
files that you've previously installed, so you don't necessarily want to
regenerating your authoring from scratch every time.  As I recall, Tallow
sidesteps this issue by not creating GUIDs for your components and making
you do that by hand (or with some sort of script you write).  It isn't an
easy problem to solve.

Another thing you might consider doing is generating the authoring
dynamically from the existing source for the initial build and then just
tweaking the authoring by hand thereafter.  Typically, this isn't too hard
to keep on top of if you do it as you go.

Other people on this list have created some really sophisticated build
systems that do automate this task while keeping track of existing
components and such.  There is probably a significant investment in time to
get something like this, but it might pay off.  Perhaps someone else will
share their solution.  The email archives probably have some pointers as
well.

Joe K.