Hello,

We have an installation package that includes VC8 runtime libraries via
standard merge modules (ATL, MFC, C++ runtime).  The problem is that when
SelfReg table (yes, I know that self-registration is evil) is being
processed, the system cannot locate VC8 runtime files and returns error
0x800736B1 (-2147010895) which seems to be a COM HRESULT mapping of
ERROR_SXS_CANT_GEN_ACTCTX. The message in the EventLog says:

----
Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Softerra\LDAP
Administrator 3\lansext.dll". Dependent Assembly
Microsoft.VC80.ATL,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18
e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50608.0" could not be found. Please use
sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.
----

Unfortunately, 'sxstrace.exe' seems to be broken in Vista RC1 - it returns
an error every in attempt to trace anything.

I checked that required run-time files are already present in appropriate
WinSxS subfolders by the time when SelfReg processing starts. The issue
happens only on Vista, prior systems XP and 2K work fine. It appears like a
Vista's bug, but I'm not sure.

Any thoughts?

P.S. If I use vcredist_x86.exe to install VC8 runtime, and then install our
product - the installation goes smoothly.

Sincerely yours,

Kirill Kovalenko
Product Manager
Softerra LLC