Bob has added support to WiX 3 for custom event sources, but I don't think
the custom log is in there yet.  It is on the list.

Luckily, both event logs and sources are simply a bunch of registry keys.
This is bread and butter for WiX/MSI, so it is not difficult to implement
this natively with no CAs at all.  The trick is to get the authoring for the
keys.  You can easily go into the registry, export those nodes and use heat
or tallow to convert the .reg files to WiX authoring though.

The biggest trick in my mind is what to do about the event message DLL file.
If you are using .NET and its eventlog support, you are almost certainly
using the event message DLLs that come with .NET.  In my mind, the main
problem is picking the appropriate DLL from various possible .NET Framework
installs that might be on the box.  All of the event message DLLs will work
and do the same thing though, so I don't think you really need to pick a
specific one.  I think you can use any.

The file always has the same name, so you just need to get the right path.

An alternate approach would be to put their DLL in your own installer so it
is self-contained and reference it from your own install dir.  That bloats
your installer a bit and is a little evil, but should work.  You can also
write your own message dll.  The MSDN reference talks a little about how.
:)

I think the first thing to do is look at the registry keys created for your
custom log so you can start to understand how it works.  MSDN also documents
all the registry keys.

Joe