I'm trying to write an installer that installs files into the user's My Documents directory (it doesn't install files anywhere else, for what it's worth). Trying to construct it the obvious way, I get a couple of errors: ICE38, complaining that the KeyPath has to be a registry key under HKCU, and ICE64, complaining the directories under PersonalFolder aren't listed in the RemoveFile table.

For the first one, I really don't know what's going on - the WiX tutorial doesn't even cover what a KeyPath is, let alone when and why I should create registry keys for one.

For the second one, the folders are created by an external program, and the installer shouldn't remove them on uninstall, even if they're empty. How can I tell the installer this?

-Nick Johnson