So to early for me, should not have sent this before morning coffee.

There is no error, just a warning and it compiles nicely.

I have done the setup to use the quiet cmd CA in the dll, but getting an
error when executing.
I use [#ConfigFile] to reference the file defined <File Id="ConfigFile",
this should work right?
And FILEPATH is a property set calling another CA dll that spawns a file
browser dialog, this has been tested and confirmed working with just a
normal ExeCommand CA. Trying to run the quiet one, it just exits with an
error (error given below).

The dll is not included in the package, but neither is my other dll and
this one runs without problems.
The other ting is that these CA are run at the end, after installation
and temp files are removed.
So if it was a case of not including WixUtilExtension.dll in the
installation , then my other CA dll (also not included in the install)
should also fail?

I'm a bit stumped on this one, any help would be appreciated. This will
also help me understand a bit more how the installer works.

<Property Id="QtExecCmdLine" />
<CustomAction Id="Set_QtExecCmdLine" Property="QtExecCmdLine"
                      Value =".\Deploy.Tools\XmlPreprocess.exe /i
&quot;[#ConfigFile]&quot; /s &quot;[FILEPATH]&quot; /NoLogo" />
<CustomAction Id="QtExec" BinaryKey="WixUtilExtension"
DllEntry="CAQuietExec" Execute="immediate" Return="check"/>
<Binary Id="WixUtilExtension"
SourceFile=".\Deploy.Tools\WixUtilExtension.dll" />

<File Id="ConfigFile" Name="web.config" DiskId="1" Source="web.config"
/>

MSI error msg:

Action 10:38:21: BrowseFiles.
Action start 10:38:21: BrowseFiles.
Action ended 10:38:24: BrowseFiles. Return value 1.

Above my other CA dll is executed.

Action 10:38:24: Set_QtExecCmdLine.
Action start 10:38:24: Set_QtExecCmdLine.
Action ended 10:38:24: Set_QtExecCmdLine. Return value 1.
Action 10:38:24: QtExec.
Action start 10:38:24: QtExec.
Error 1723. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A
DLL required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your
support personnel or package vendor.  Action QtExec, entry: CAQuietExec,
library: C:\DOCUME~1\bak8549\LOCALS~1\Temp\2\MSI6.tmp
MSI (c) (30:BC) [10:38:36:045]: Product: TestWS v1.0.0 -- Error 1723.
There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required
for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support
personnel or package vendor.  Action QtExec, entry: CAQuietExec,
library: C:\DOCUME~1\bak8549\LOCALS~1\Temp\2\MSI6.tmp

Action ended 10:38:36: QtExec. Return value 3.