In my application, we have several wixlibs that we use to wrap functionality
for Custom Actions.  Recently, we changed the way we were building these
slightly, and it broke our build.

Previously, we were relying on a particular environment variable to be set, in
order for the build to work.  This environment variable was the full path to
the root of our source control tree, and is different on each machine.

We've been moving to Votive, and in doing so, have been removing the dependency
on environment variables from our wix source (so we can build in VS).  I
changed the paths of the files to relative paths.  Candle compiled the wixobj
file fine, and lit created the wixlib that I expected.

When I try to link an MSI that uses this wixlib, though, I get an error that a
file with a relative path couldn't be found.  I went to the directory where the
wixlib was compiled and linked from, and pasted in the path that couldn't be
found.  It was there, just as expected.

Eventually, I realized that light seemed to be resolving the path from the
directory where the MSI was linking from, not the directory where the wxs file
for the wixlib resided.  This seemed strange, since light has the directory of
the source file.

I think this is a bug, and I think that Lit should be changed to resolve all
relative paths to absolute paths when it builds the wixlib file.  What do
others think?

Cullen Waters
SDET
Office Live