Bob,

As far as features / components are concerned, you probably want to look
at the Microsoft installer documentation.

Very basically though, "Features" are what the end user sees (e.g.
"Word", "Excel", etc), and have a one-to-many mapping with the
"Components" (word.exe, wordsupportfile.dll, etc.).

If you wish to be able to create a patch file at some point in the
future, then versioning rules require that you only have one executable
per component. If you have multiple executables in the same component,
you can only modify them as a complete set (remembering, of course, that
component rules also dictate that you change the GUID if any files are
added or removed).

For non-executable files which are always installed as a "package", it
may be appropriate to place them in the same component. That's really a
design decision for your installation and will vary depending on your
specific needs.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Richard