I read that "managed code" in a custom action is a no-no (please forgive
me if I use the wrong terminology) so I am attempting to write my custom
action without using managed code.  Most examples I find seem to use it,
however, so I'm doing the best I can.

I wrote a simple VC++ app (.exe) that will determine if some files
exist.  I probably did it badly, but it worked in that context.

I took the same code, and cut& paste into a VC++ file I had setup to
create my dll.

The code was previously a working snippet that would simply set a msi
property to "true" and return ERROR_SUCCESS.

I am now trying to make it do something useful.

After the cut& paste I got some build errors and followed (somewhat) the
steps listed here to resolve them.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=814472

The dll built successfully, but when I run the installer I get error
2896, "Executing action [2] failed."  That doesn't tell me too much.

I stepped backwards until I had one line that I could comment/uncomment
to make the dll work(return "true")/not work(error 2896)

The one line that causes it to fail (and concequently causes the dll to
double in size) is:

ifstream fin1(filename);

Down the road I was doing 'if (fin1.good())' to see if the file exists
(like I said, probably a bad way, but it was the first thing I did that
seemed to work)

Is attempting to do this fundamentally wrong?

Also, I'm running the installer with /l* but I'm still not getting
anything particularly helpful.  Are there better techniques for
debugging?