Scott stated "[Heat] obviously should be [usable in an automated build
process]"

To which I would reply, "Should it really?"

From my point of view, using Heat (or its WiX V2 predecessor Tallow) is
akin to using a radio controlled rifle from several hundred miles away
without the benefit of a video feed as well. Sure, it can be made to
work, but the consequences if something goes wrong could be fatal (to
your end user's machine, or your ability to appropriately support your
product).

I know there are people out there who are using some form of automated
WiX authoring. As long as you truly understand what you are doing (and
are prepared for the consequences if you have messed up) that's fine.

I, for one, strongly support Rob and the rest of the WiX developers in
their decision to only supply the rope. Choosing to make a noose out of
it should be entirely your own choice!

Oh, and in response to Robert Yexley's question, I have used (and will
continue to use) WiX as part of an automated build process, even though
I have to go through the pain of re-authoring some of the installation
source files when COM GUID's change. As to how appropriate a tool it is
for your specific needs - that depends on what you want to use it for,
and the "stability" of the files that make up your product.

Regards,

Richard