It seems you didn't look very hard. There is an example right there in
the tutorial: http://www.tramontana.co.hu/wix/lesson3.php#3.2

Look specifically at the notepad example, and you will see that the
command line parameters would go in the ExeCommand attribute.

As far as your complaints about a custom action in a DLL not having
debug information available, that's (in my book) a very poor excuse,
since you have complete control over the code. Even if you couldn't work
out how to add information to the installer event log (Per Microsoft's
documentation, you use MsiProcessMessage - see
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/En-US/library/aa371614.aspx - to send
INSTALLMESSAGE_INFO messages), you should at least be able to open a
custom text file and drop messages into that.

Regards,

Richard