Jeremy,

Just for stupidity's sake, is everything OK if you reverse the order of
the second test?

I.e. the second test would become:

<?if $(var.type) = msm ?>
</module>
<?elseif $(var.type) = msi ?>
</product>
<?endif ?>

Unless I'm missing something, the file would then be "valid" again,
since the product element is opened before the module element could
possibly be, and closed after it, maintaining xml requirements.

Of course... it is a pretty roundabout way of doing things. The fact
that you are running into problems may really be suggesting you need to
use wix libraries instead of msm's (or wix fragments which are consumed
by both independent msi and msm wrapper files).

Regards,

Richard