From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of PameAlex
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2008 8:20 AM
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] Services depending on VC++ merge modules don't start on
Vista

Hi, I have a kit that installs three services (Type='ownProcess') that
depends on vcredist (I'm installing the vcredist merge modules with the
kit), the kit must run in xp, 2003 server and vista. If I install the
services without start them on install, everything works fine and I can
start the services manually. When I install the services with start on
install, the installation works properly in xp and 2003, but vista fails
with the error "Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system
services". Off course I'm running with administrator privileges and "run as
administrator" option.

After work arrount it, I found that if I install the vcredist before launch
my kit, the installation succeed without any change.

Here goes the questions:

1) Why the merge modules are not completely installed when the service is
being started, even if they are in the first installed feature? It looks
like they are installed after InstallFinalize and I can't move StartServices
after that.

2) If this is a known problem, I tried to skip starting services if the OS
is vista using

    <InstallExecuteSequence>
        <StartServices Suppress="yes">VersionNT = 600</StartServices>
    </InstallExecuteSequence>

but it do not respect the condition and it don't let start the services on
any OS. Is there something wrong with this configuration?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.