For one product my light command is this:
light -nologo -sw1044 DBS.wixobj SN_COMMON_PATH.wixobj
Add_Common_Bin_To_Path.wixobj -loc
Common\CommonSettings\Common-E.wxl -loc English.wxl -out DBS.msi

You would then tag the redirection stuff on the end like this:
light -nologo -sw1044 DBS.wixobj SN_COMMON_PATH.wixobj
Add_Common_Bin_To_Path.wixobj -loc
Common\CommonSettings\Common-E.wxl -loc English.wxl -out DBS.msi 1>out.txt
2>err.txt

Currently there's no outout so both files are empty, but if I remove the
-nologo flag then out.txt
contains:
Microsoft (R) Windows Installer Xml Linker version 2.0.4415.0
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 2003. All rights reserved.

Hope that helps,
Rob