Ok I have to admit to being wrong, that wasn't at all what I expected
and I am still a bit confused by what I found.

Using a fragment like this and test with v3.0.5120.0:
  <iis:WebSite Id="WebSite" Description="Default Web Site" SiteId="*">
    <iis:WebAddress Id="TestWebSite" Port="1" />
  </iis:WebSite>

The following work:
1. If WebSite/@SiteId="*" then a case sensitive match on
WebSite/@Description happens.
2. If WebSite/@SiteId matches the site id than WebSite/@Description is
ignored and a match on site id happens.
3. If WebSite/@SiteId has any value WebAddress/@Port is ignored
(although the syntax requires it and it can't be 0).
4. If WebSite/@SiteId is missing WebAddress/@Port is used and
WebSite/@Description is ignored.
5. Once a website is created and gets site id, you can rename it
(therefore its site id is not the hash of its name), the
WebSite/@SiteId="*" syntax will match on the WebSite/@Description.

If anyone can think of any other scenarios I will test them.

Neil