I have the following in my .wxs file now,

      <DirectoryRef Id="DesktopFolder">

        <Component Id="mVPClientDesktopShortcut"
Guid="147FC92C-AC01-4CD1-A2AB-A0B889A2E12E">

          <CreateFolder/>

          <RegistryValue Root="HKCU" Key="Software\Solarsoft\mVP\Client"
Name="DesktopShortcut" Type="integer" Value="1" KeyPath="yes" />

          <Shortcut Id="AppStartDesktopShortcut" Name="mVP Client"
Description="Solarsoft mVP Client"
Target="[APPLICATIONDIR]etAppStart.exe"
WorkingDirectory="APPLICATIONDIR" />

        </Component>

      </DirectoryRef>

This will put the etAppStart.exe under "APPLICATIONDIR", since
APPLICATIONDIR is a predefined variable  however, let's say, I need my
user to enter a value for SERVER_DIR , and SERVER_DIR is not a
predefined variable, what should I do, such that I will be able to put
etAppStart.exe under [SERVER_DIR]\Client Setup? I don't need to create a
short cut though? I just need to put the .exe under SERVER_DIR.

Please let me know..

Thanks a lot!!

Karen Lin

Software Developer