There is defiantly a Domain attribute on the User element and if I don't set
that when adding the domain user to a local group, installation fails.

I had looked at USERDOMAIN initially but that gets set to the local machine
name when you are not logged in as the domain user.  But, I suppose I could
set a property based on the USERDOMAN = COMPUTERNAME.

There is also USERDNSDOMAIN which may do to the trick since it does not
exist when logged in as the local user.

Thanks for pointing me back in the direction of the environment variables.