From: jamie benson [mailto:jamieben...@gmail.com]
Sent: 11 August 2010 08:22
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] Help with WIX Installers

Hi all,

I'm looking to write a standard install template for one of our
products, but I've come into a bit of difficult when working with CA's

Essentially we want a installer to copy files to be used by another
tool, run a tool then delete the temporary files on disk. If possible
this will be in the TempFolder and won't cause the MSI to be broken
within the registry.

On uninstall, we'll then call the external tool to remove any files it
created on install.

This internal tool could fail so if we could generate an error message
back that would also be great.

I've got a starting point (snippet below) which performs the basics, but
if I could get errors and install/uninstall working as desired I've be
incredibly grateful

Regards,
Jamie

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<Wix xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2006/wi";>

<Product Id="86ac8b33-f878-4bf1-ae97-84f3c8dbab40" Name="REMOVED"
Language="
1033" Version="1.0.0.0" Manufacturer="REMOVED" UpgradeCode="
92347fc8-1e0f-4601-a96e-d01a46adebec">

<Package InstallerVersion="200" Compressed="yes" />

<Media Id="1" Cabinet="REMOVED.cab" EmbedCab="yes" />

<Property Id="ALLUSERS">1</Property>

<Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">

<Directory Id="TempFolder">

<Directory Id="Bod" Name="Bod">

</Directory>

</Directory>

</Directory>

<Property Id="REMOVED" Value='Administration.exe'></Property>

<CustomAction Id='LaunchFile' Property='REMOVED' ExeCommand="-ad &quot;
[Bod]\&quot; REMOVED 1.0" Return='check' />

<InstallExecuteSequence>

<RemoveExistingProducts After="InstallInitialize"/>

<Custom Action="LaunchFile" After="InstallFinalize">NOT
Installed</Custom>

</InstallExecuteSequence>

<Icon Id="icon.ico" SourceFile="favicon.ico"/>

<Property Id="ARPPRODUCTICON" Value="icon.ico" />

<Feature Id="ProductFeature" Title="Plugin" Level="1"

Description="Description">

<ComponentGroupRef Id="ExternalAssemblies"/>

<ComponentGroupRef Id="BodPluginBinaries"/>

</Feature>

<UIRef Id="WixUI_Mondo" />

<UIRef Id="WixUI_ErrorProgressText" />

</Product>