This isn't technically a WiX question, but I figured there was no harm in
asking:

I've written a bootstrapper for our various products, one that uses
MsiSetExternalUI to hook into the MSIs to retrieve error messages, progress,
and the like (I've based off the example handler found here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa368786%28VS.85%29.aspx).  I would
also like to be able to deal with FilesInUse messages, but I'm unsure how to
actually retrieve the information on which applications need to be closed (they
don't show up in the message string that gets sent).  I've discovered that
appending [1], [2], etc. the 1607 message (files in use), the message sent to
the UI handler then receives the application names, but when uninstalling
directly from Add/Remove Programs, the internal UI doesn't seem to do the
string substitution and I end up with "The following applications should be
closed before continuing the install: [1] [2]..." being displayed to the user.

So basically the short version of my question: Does anyone know a way to
retrieve the list of applications for a 1607 (files in use) message in an
external UI without screwing up what is displayed by the internal UI when run
directly from the .msi?

I don't suppose anyone has run into this issue before and found an acceptable
solution?

-Andy