From: Nick Ramirez [mailto:nickra...@hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2010 7:47 PM
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Meaning of Light's -sacl?

Okay. Now I see what you mean. I can see how the -sacl flag affects the
output MSI. I followed these steps:

1. Create a folder to send the output of the build to, call it something
like "Output"
2. Set the permissions on that folder to not inherit their permissions from
the parent folder and then set some restrictive permissions, like giving
only Read access to the System user
3. Build the MSI and output it to that folder
4. Check the MSI's permissions. Without the -sacl flag, it should have
picked up the restrictive permissions of the Output folder
5. Add the -sacl flag and rebuild. Now, the output MSI has unrestricted
privileges because Light needs that to copy/move files around during the
binding phase. -sacl means that instead of returning things back to normal
when it's done, Light skips that step and the file ends up keeping the
unrestricted permissions

I suppose one might use -sacl when the permissions on the output folder
(maybe a network share) are way too restrictive?