Additionally, you may get upgrades, patches and automatic repairs
recreating the keys and values, depending on what you do with them and
if they are keypaths.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Cran [mailto:br...@cran.org.uk]
Sent: 08 October 2010 12:26
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Application registry keys best practise

On Friday 08 October 2010 10:36:12 Mark Simonetti wrote:
>   Is it best practise for the installer to create all the registry
keys
> that the application itself might create?  I imagine the biggest pros
> that would be that the installer controls the default settings, also
> making them configurable on the installer command line, and also the
> keys will be removed if the application is uninstalled keeping it
clean.

The potential problem with having the installer create and remove them
is that
users probably expect to be able to reinstall the application and have
their
data still be accessible.

--
Bruce Cran

SDL PLC confidential, all rights reserved.
If you are not the intended recipient of this mail SDL requests and requires
that you delete it without acting upon or copying any of its contents, and we
further request that you advise us.
SDL PLC is a public limited company registered in England and Wales.
Registered number: 02675207.
Registered address: Globe House, Clivemont Road, Maidenhead, Berkshire SL6 7DY,
UK.