From: Kevin MacDonald [mailto:kevinmacdon...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2011 4:25 PM
To: wix-users
Subject: [WiX-users] Chaining MSIs together

Hello,

I have an existing installer that I wrote in NSIS that does several things.
It installs the Adobe AIR runtime by invoking an executable provided by Adobe.
It then installs our AIR application, again using installation utilities
provided by Adobe. And finally, it installs media which our AIR application
knows where to find. This all works great. However, some of our clients require
a single MSI file so that they can do multiple installations from a central
location. I started playing with Wix in order to do this.
However, I have encountered the problem where it does not seem to be possible
to chain MSIs together. I was able to kinda get it working by having a custom
action invoke the AIR runtime installer using the code
below:

    <CustomAction Id='InstallAIRRuntimeAction' FileKey='file_AIRInstaller_0'
ExeCommand='-silent' Return='asyncNoWait' />

    <InstallExecuteSequence>
      <Custom Action='InstallAIRRuntimeAction' After='InstallFinalize'>NOT
Installed</Custom>
    </InstallExecuteSequence>

This works because the enclosing MSI doesn't wait for a response, and the other
MSI takes a few seconds to launch. This is of course very hacky. Is there no
way to do this properly? I don't mind if the two MSIs are not chained, i.e. it
would be O.K. if the AIR runtime remained on the machine during an uninstall.

InstallShield advertises that they can chain MSIs. I would rather go the extra
mile and use Wix or something similar, rather than fork out $2000 for
InstallShield Professional. I'm suprised that Wix can't do the basic task of
calling another MSI given how low level it is when InstallShield is able to do
it. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Kevin
intended