From: Peter Shirtcliffe [mailto:pshirtcli...@sdl.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 4:14 AM
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Question on Patch Files.

Normally a patch just includes resources that have changed, plus any changes
from earlier patches - "Patch families can only grow".

As far as I know, when you refer to a resource in the patch family, the whole
fragment that the resource belongs to is pulled into the patch. Therefore you
could refer to just one thing in each fragment that you want in your list and
you'd not need to change it in future.

I would examine the resulting patch to see how much it has included - I don't
know if unchanged resources have any effect on the patch although I'd assume
not.

You'll likely have to edit your patch wxs every time to change the patch
display name, client patch ID etc although these could be automated.