Wix has built-in support for detecting Dot Net. See "How To: Check for .NET
Framework Versions" in the Wix help.

-----Original Message-----
From: Yawar Khan [mailto:yawar.k...@live.com]
Sent: 01 February 2013 12:52
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] Detect the existence of Word and .Net version greater or
equal to 2.0

Hi
My application requires Word and .Net.
I am creating a wix bootstrap application to install .net if not not found.
The basic criteria i found is to search through registry entries. the problem
is both items may have many products, e.g. Word can have v11, v12, v14. and
.net can have 2.0, 3.5, 4.0, etc (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785). So
to resolve this I have to check all possibilities.
Is there a *Simple *way to just find that word is installed and either of 64
or 32 bit. Or .net 2.0 or greater is installed?

I am doing this for Word
         <util:RegistrySearch
            Variable="WordVersion"
            Root="HKLM"
            Key="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\InstallRoot"
            Format='raw'
            Value="Path"
            Result="value" />

And this for .Net
         <util:RegistrySearch
            Root="HKLM"
            Key="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727"
            Value="Install"
            Variable="Netfx2FullVersion" />

I also tried to search the version of mscoree.dll through FileSearch but it
seems like that it never executed.
                <Property Id="MINFRAMEWORK">
                        <DirectorySearch
                                        Id="MinFrameworkDir"
                                        Depth="0"
                                        Path="[SystemFolder]">
                                                <FileSearch
                                                        Id="MinFrameworkFile"

                                                        MinVersion="6.1.4322"

                                                        Name="mscoree.dll" />

                        </DirectorySearch>
                </Property>

SDL PLC confidential, all rights reserved.
If you are not the intended recipient of this mail SDL requests and requires
that you delete it without acting upon or copying any of its contents, and we
further request that you advise us.
SDL PLC is a public limited company registered in England and Wales.
Registered number: 02675207.
Registered address: Globe House, Clivemont Road, Maidenhead, Berkshire SL6 7DY,
UK.