From: Rob Mensching [mailto:r...@robmensching.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 6:13 PM
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] WIX MSBuild Issue

WiX toolset just uses MSBuild. What does MSBuild say about the rebuilt
ProjectReference? Why did the project think it need to be rebuilt?  (maybe
signing confused the projects so they think the .exe is out of date)?  It is
always possible something is wrong on the WiX.targets side but MSBuild should
say why...

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 3:41 PM, Terry <terrymc...@urbanehounds.com> wrote:

> > Our team is using WIX to generate Fragments and an Installer package.
> > Today, we have two Configurations that we build during our TFS build.
> > First, we build a Release configuration so that we can digitally
> > sign the output for inclusion into the Installer file. Second, the
> > installer is built during the Deployment Configuration. We have put
> > each of our features into Fragments and used Project References to
> > point back to the actual location of the artifacts we want to
> > include for that fragment.  The fragments are then included in one
> > MSI installer file.  The installer package CABs all of the files and
> > includes them inside the final MSI.
> >
> > The issue we are seeing is that during our Deployment configuration
> > build any project that is contained in the Project Reference for the
> > Fragment is getting built again overwriting the digital signature.
> > We dug into it a see that it is using Wix2010.targets during the
> > MSBuild process.  In addition, the "Build Order" and "Project Dependecies"
> > have nothing in them for each of the Fragment projects.
> >
> > Is this the expected behavior?  We have a pretty large build process
> > that encompasses many project so changing signing to a post build
> > event wouldn't be possible so I need a way to ensure that the signed
> > version of the binary isn't overwritten.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Terry

intended
information.