I realize that this question is probably more a MSI question rather than WiX.
I have searched but did not find discussions of this specific issue that I
am sure is a common issue.  Say I do a release of a product that has a
number of dependencies, some of which have a version number in the name of
the file.  Then later I create a Major Upgrade for the product which no
longer uses the same file name as the name has changed with a change in
version.  How should I plan to deal with this change?   (I assume that
someday I may have to figure out a minor update, but for now lets look at
the Major Upgrade model.)

App.exe version 1.0
dll_ver1.dll

App.exe version 1.1
dll_ver2.dll

Currently I am developing a Wix setup (not shipping yet) which follows the
one file per component plan and each file is a keypath.  For the files for
which I expect the file names to change should I use a different keypath for
the component (such as a registry key)?  The setup will be a 'per-machine'
setup.

And then in the second release do I need to do something to remove the
unused file (dll_ver1.dll)?  RemoveFile ??

I'm just not sure how to plan for this situation and would appreciate any
advice or just a prod in the right direction for me to go do more research.

Thanks for your time.
Phill