I'm really confused by where NuGet fits in with a WiX deployment (which you
can guess by the questions at the end...)

Currently we’re really happy with our WiX (3.6) setup (smile)...

Our TeamCity build creates the installers using Burn and Neils burn UI
customisations for our WinForms products that are FTP’d to our servers. The
apps call our web services to determine whether there is a later version
that it’s entitled to, and if so downloads it in the background so that’s
it’s ready to be installed the next time the app starts.

Now I need to include some functionality that is included into our c#
solution via a nugget package. The package will not be required by 90% of
our client installations due to the specific functionality in the package,
so presumably will need it’s own msi. The nugget package in question isn’t
ours, and resides on one of our suppliers servers and requires
authentication to get hold of.

I’m somehow new to the world of NuGet, and cannot get my head round where
it fits in with WiX...

- Do I somehow include the nugget package as part of the CI build and
include it within the WiX installer so it’s not downloaded from the
suppliers site (this would resolve the authentication issue)?

- Do I create a new MSI which includes the components within the Nuget
package, but not actually use NuGet for the final client deployment at all?
(This would solve a number of issues but would potentially need work each
time the NuGet package is updated )

- Do I create a headless MSI package which downloads separately as part of
the burn install? Clients won’t be able to enter the authentication
required as they won’t have it.

- If the nugget package is installed during installation, and always get
the latest available presumably our install may fail at a later date if the
nugget package is updated by the supplier which breaks our install somehow.
Is there a way around this if the NuGet package is downloaded on the client?

Many thanks, Confused!