Hi,

I’m new to WiX, so please bare with me.

I want to create a custom action and then have it triggered from a button on a
dialog box during the InstallUISequence phase.

I’m using WiX 3.7 (I know 3.8 has just come out) and have followed the
instructions in chapter 14 of WiX 3.6  A Developers Guide (Extending WiX).  I’m
working with Visual Studio 2010 on Windws 7 x64.

I’m at the stage of just checking that if I use the custom extension in a setup
project, that a new MSI table is created – that’s all it does so far.

So, my extension project has a CompilerExtension derived class, an xsd file, a
WixExtension derived class, and a TableDefinitions.xml. This compiles
successfully.

I found the instructions in using this extension in a sample WiX setup project
a little confusing. I don’t get why the reference should be added as a project
reference (also I don’t know how the wix source code has references to csproj
files – unless these are added manully in the referencing csproj, instead of
through VS), but in any case here is the candle command that it tries to
execute when the project reference is added (line breaks for read ability)

C:\Program Files (x86)\WiX Toolset v3.7\bin\candle.exe
-dDebug
-d"DevEnvDir=C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\\"
-d"SolutionDir=C:\Users\malley\documents\visual studio
2010\Projects\MakeSqlConnectionStringAction\\"
-dSolutionExt=.sln -dSolutionFileName=MakeSqlConnectionStringAction.sln
-dSolutionName=MakeSqlConnectionStringAction
-d"SolutionPath=C:\Users\malley\documents\visual studio
2010\Projects\MakeSqlConnectionStringAction\MakeSqlConnectionStringAction.sln"
-dConfiguration=Debug
-dOutDir=bin\Debug\
-dPlatform=x86
-d"ProjectDir=C:\Users\malley\documents\visual studio
2010\Projects\MakeSqlConnectionStringAction\SetupProject1\\"
-dProjectExt=.wixproj
-dProjectFileName=SetupProject1.wixproj
-dProjectName=SetupProject1
-d"ProjectPath=C:\Users\malley\documents\visual studio
2010\Projects\MakeSqlConnectionStringAction\SetupProject1\SetupProject1.wixproj"
-d"TargetDir=C:\Users\malley\documents\visual studio
2010\Projects\MakeSqlConnectionStringAction\SetupProject1\bin\Debug\\"
-dTargetExt=.msi
-dTargetFileName=SetupProject1.msi
-dTargetName=SetupProject1
-d"TargetPath=C:\Users\malley\documents\visual studio
2010\Projects\MakeSqlConnectionStringAction\SetupProject1\bin\Debug\SetupProject1.msi"

-dSqlConnectionStringExtension.Configuration=Debug
-d"SqlConnectionStringExtension.FullConfiguration=Debug|AnyCPU"
-dSqlConnectionStringExtension.Platform=AnyCPU
-d"SqlConnectionStringExtension.ProjectDir=C:\Users\malley\documents\visual
studio
2010\Projects\MakeSqlConnectionStringAction\SqlConnectionStringExtension\\"
-dSqlConnectionStringExtension.ProjectExt=.csproj
-dSqlConnectionStringExtension.ProjectFileName=SqlConnectionStringExtension.csproj
-dSqlConnectionStringExtension.ProjectName=SqlConnectionStringExtension
-d"SqlConnectionStringExtension.ProjectPath=C:\Users\malley\documents\visual
studio
2010\Projects\MakeSqlConnectionStringAction\SqlConnectionStringExtension\SqlConnectionStringExtension.csproj"
-d"SqlConnectionStringExtension.TargetDir=C:\Users\malley\documents\visual
studio
2010\Projects\MakeSqlConnectionStringAction\SqlConnectionStringExtension\bin\Debug\\"
-dSqlConnectionStringExtension.TargetExt=.dll
-dSqlConnectionStringExtension.TargetFileName=SqlConnectionStringExtension.dll
-dSqlConnectionStringExtension.TargetName=SqlConnectionStringExtension
-d"SqlConnectionStringExtension.TargetPath=C:\Users\malley\documents\visual
studio
2010\Projects\MakeSqlConnectionStringAction\SqlConnectionStringExtension\bin\Debug\SqlConnectionStringExtension.dll"
-out obj\Debug\
-arch x86 Product.wxs

This produces the error:
…Product.wxs(13) : error CNDL0200 : The Product element contains an unhandled
extension element 'awesome:SuperElement'.  Please ensure that the extension for
elements in the 'http://tsgi.co/SqlConnectionStringSchema.xsd' namespace has
been provided.

I’ve tried removing the project reference, (which gets rid of the defintions
starting SqlConnectionStringExtension), and adding the directive –ext
….SqlConnectionStringExtension.dll, and at that point I get the
StackOverflowException.

Any help much appreciated.
Kind Regards
Martin

------------------
Martin Alley
Senior Business Consultant
Total Solutions Group
t       01534 761784
m       07797 753889
e       mailto:martin.al...@tsgi.co
w       http://www.tsgi.co

Jersey Enterprise Awards
Entrepreneur of the Year Winner 2013
Application of Technology Winner 2013

The information contained in this communication is intended solely for the use
of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorised  to
receive it. It may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are
not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this
information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received
this communication in error, please notify us immediately by responding to this
email and then delete it from your system. Total Solutions Group is neither
liable for the proper and complete transmission of the information contained in
this communication nor for any delay in its receipt.