If I'm understanding correctly, you're referring to that you see Visual
Studio calling candle and light when it compiles your WiX setup project?

At that time, it's calling those tools on your setup project, but your
custom extension project has already been compiled. By adding a reference to
it in your project, WiX will add an -ext MyCustomExtension.dll to the call
to candle. It's the same as if you'd added a reference to WiXUtilExtension,
for example. The -ext pulls in the extension, but it doesn't compile it --
since it's already compiled code.

I think you've already done this, but first, get the source code from the
book at http://www.packtpub.com/support/10788.

I just did and tried it myself. The steps I followed were:

1. Download source for that chapter
2. Open the solution in Visual Studio (I just download WiX 3.8, so I had to
update the reference to wix.dll that's in the extension project to point at
the new location for that DLL)
3. Compile the WIXLIB project
4. Compile the custom action project
5. Compile the extension project (since it relies on the first two)
6. Copy the ouput DLL from the extension project to a WiX setup project's
project directory (for easy access)
7. In the WiX setup, add that DLL as a project reference
8. Add the XMLNS to the Wix element:
xmlns:awesome="http://www.mydomain.com/AwesomeSchema";
9. Add the new element inside the Product: <awesome:SuperElement
Id="MyCustomElement" Type="Super" />
10. Compile the setup project. That worked for me. Does it for you? I'm
using Visual Studio 2013 and WiX 3.8.