As far as I know, a transform file is a file used during the patch-making
process, but can't be used directly to perform a transform. It needs to be
joined with a patch file. The patch file has the knowledge of what the
transform applies to. Without it, I don't think Windows would know what to
do with the transform. I don't think msiexec would know what to do with it
either.