There are many factors and opinions on this issue.
I try to make sure that my MSI projects can build incrementally (if nothing
was changed).
I use MSBuild command line scripts (customized with ITask and Targets) to do
most builds, rather than VS (used for development debugging)
I minimize use of the preprocessor.
I put as much common and rarely changing code as possible into wixlibs (not
bound to files).
I define paths using compiler -I and -d, and linker -b commands (I edit my
project file directly, there are other approaches).
I use external cabs, and configure to reuse cabs.
I always rebuild my bundle to make sure that the version gets incremented
(which depends on your approach to versioning).
I have experimented with changing the compression level, but have not seen
much of a change.

Consider the following:
http://wixtoolset.org/documentation/manual/v3/howtos/general/optimizing_builds.html

I have not done this, but: