From: Matthew J. Bobowski [mailto:mjb8...@hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2014 4:38 PM
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] Setup bootstrapper fails if root certificate cannot be
validated

I know this has been asked before, but is it possible for a WiX-generated
bootstrapper to ignore issues when installing digitally signed files. Error
0x800b010a - An internal certificate chaining error has occurred.

This error can happen if the root certificate is not known. Apparently there
are two workarounds. Connect the computer to the Internet or manually install
the Update for Root Certificates on Windows XP (KB931125).

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35945

Before I hear - "Microsoft dropped support for XP what do you think you're
doing?" Or "Just connect your computer to the Internet."  Let me explain that
this is for Windows XP Embedded and Windows Embedded Standard 2009 - both of
which are still supported by Microsoft and will be into the future.
And connecting to the Internet apparently does not help for Windows Embedded.
Also, adding rootsupd.exe to the bootstrapper does not help of course, because
we're in a chicken and egg scenario. The verification of certificate happens
during the cache and before the first chained package.

I would rather not provide a bootstrapper that cannot handle this, or at least
be able to strap the update for root certificates first - with the WiX
bootstrapper!

Thanks,

-Matt